The Poursina Hakim Cancer Clinic
The Poursina Hakim Cancer Clinic (PHCC), a subset of Poursina Hakim Holding Company, is a multidisciplinary leading organization for gastrointestinal (GI) and breast cancer research, prevention, screening, diagnosis, and treatment. The PHCC is dedicated to a comprehensive evaluation of patients by a multidisciplinary team of the top clinicians and specialists in the country comprising of gastroenterologist, internal medicine specialist, medical oncologist, surgical oncologist, chemotherapist, pathologist, nutritionist, psychiatrist, molecular medicine specialist, human genetic specialist, basic science and clinical researchers. Our professional team work together to provide you with the best possible integrated medical care and holistic approach toward the problems and preventions for patients and their families. Conventional treatments like, endoscopic therapies, minimally invasive surgeries and extensive surgery in cases of extensive tumors along with chemotherapy, and radiation therapy are used to attack the cancer in selected cases. At the same time, evidence-based supportive therapies like nutritional support and psychological therapy help patients combat treatment-related side effects, to help them build the strength and resilience to fight the disease.
Cooperating with some other medical centers of country, PHCC has been trying to create a comprehensive colorectal Biorepository (clinical – Para clinical) service for patients with colorectal cancer and adenoma since 2015. Furthermore, considering that cancer registry is an essential part of cancer prevention and control, PHCC established the colorectal cancer (CRC) registry in 2018 to develop strategies and policies for CRC screening, prevention, treatment and control. In addition, the Cancer Society of Iran opened its official office in 2018 at the Poursina Hakim cancer clinic. Poursina Hakim cancer clinic is a non–governmental organization (NGO) starting its activities since 2004.
Our team of GI cancer experts at Poursina Hakim Cancer Clinic provide innovative diagnostic and treatment services for gastrointestinal malignancies. These include cancers of the esophagus, stomach, gallbladder, liver, pancreas, small intestine, colon and breast. The PHCC specialists offer the following diagnostic and treatment services:
- Surgery of liver, gastrointestinal malignancies & breast cancers
- Colonoscopy/polypectomy, endomucosal resection (EMR),
- Endoscopic mucosal ablation and resection of Barrett’s esophagus using endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) & Submucosal dissections for the treatment of early gastrointestinal cancer and precancerous lesions
- Medical oncology services
- Laparoscopic T-tube feeding jejunostomy as an adjunct to staging laparoscopy for upper gastrointestinal malignancies
- Biliary bypass
- Stent placement for esophageal, duodenal, biliary and colorectal obstructions
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection for gastrointestinal neoplasms and early cancers
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography) for diagnose and palliative treatment of bile duct cancer, as well as some cancers of the liver, gallbladder and pancreas
- Nutritional consultation
- Genetic counseling
- Palliative and alternative medicine for end stage cancers
Prevention and Screening
Colorectal cancer can often start with no symptoms, so health experts recommend screening for CRC even in seemingly healthy individuals. For this purpose, we perform specialized molecular diagnostic screening tests of colorectal cancers such as MSI, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2,MLH1, KRAS, Cox2 receptor, BRAF, and FAP. PHCC has launched a comprehensive range of prevention programs, Colorectal Cancer Registry and Repository, for the CRC screening and prevention. In line with the stated goals, the Poursina Hakim cancer non–governmental organization (NGO) has started its activities since 2004. The Cancer Society of Iran opened its official office at the PHCC as well for central IRAN.
Experts at PHCC help the patients understand their individual risk of developing colorectal cancer and develop a CRC prevention plan specifically for their lifestyle such as diet and exercise, family history of cancer, and other factors.
The Colorectal Cancer Registry:
Colorectal cancer (CRC) can be cured if early diagnosis is done and promptly treated. The risk of CRC can be minimized with behavioral or lifestyle changes. Clinical cancer registries are an essential tool to characterize this malignancy. In the CRC registry of the PHCC, medical data of CRC patients is documented over the course of disease. So it plays a key role in developing strategies and policies for prevention, diagnostic, treatment, and control of CRC. Furthermore, data of the CRC registry, a separate database for scientific commitments, can be used for different research projects. Therefore, the major objective of our clinical cancer registry is to continuously monitor and assesse the effectiveness of colorectal cancer control activities and to improve the treatment of CRC.
The Colorectal Cancer Repository
The The Poursina Hakim Cancer Clinic has begun its activities with several healthcare centers throughout the country since 2015 to create a comprehensive database (clinical-Para clinical) for patients with any type of adenoma and colorectal cancer. The aims of CRC repository include:
- Establishing a comprehensive database and identifying mutations involved in the disease process, will facilitate access to diagnostic markers for CRC patients and the disease control in Iran.
- Providing the possibility of studying the biological-pathological differences in CRC and adenoma among different parts of Iran.
- Quantitative and qualitative improvements of genetic and epigenetic studies associated with adenoma and colorectal cancer.
- Achieving diagnostic methods at lower cost, more sensitivity and more specific.
- Achieving non-invasive diagnostic and therapeutic methods for early detection & treatment of CRC.
- The Iranian Cancer Society Office
The Iranian Cancer Society Office was formally established in june 2018 at the PHCC and Professor Mohammad Hasan Emami was appointed as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Isfahan Cancer Society. The Cancer Society has begun activities on cancer prevention and treatment with a team vision, and in this regard, it continues its accomplishments with the presence of the best specialists in the various fields involved in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
The Poursina Hakim cancer non-governmental organization (PHC-NGO)
The Poursina Hakim cancer NGO has started its activities in 2004. Since its creation, the PHC NGO has committed itself not only to education and training in screening/early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of gastrointestinal and breast cancers, but also to conduct extensive research in cooperation with various scientific research groups in the areas described above.
The PHC-NGO set its goal on the basis of a fundamental struggle with risky behaviors, early cancer detection, and timely treatments. We believe that this goal will not be carried out except through extensive and comprehensive research in a variety of areas. Hence, a group of prominent scholars and experts at the Poursina Hakim cancer clinic came together and started their studies in various fields of epidemiology, nutrition, environmental issues, prevention, screening, early diagnosis, treatment, and psychological issues related to cancer and its prognosis, and now these studies are also active in the form of specialized teams. The PHC-NGO has also conducted extensive training activities in the fields of screening, prevention and treatment of cancer.
- Special training activities for the medical community
- Special education activities for the general public
- Educational programs on social media
- Epidemiological studies in Isfahan province
- Collaboration with Shahrekord University in conducting epidemiological studies
- Clinical studies related to the patients referred to the Poursina Hakim clinic
- Contributing to the University of Amir Kabir to find predictive markers of cancer
- Participation with the Department of Genetics of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences for early diagnosis of cancer
- Participation with the Faculty of Pharmacy of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences to conduct pancreatic cancer research,
and numerous studies on the geographic distribution of cancer in Isfahan province, nutrition risk factors of cancer and etc.
Patient support services
We believe that cancer care extends well beyond your initial medical treatment. We offer support services ranging from nutrition to psychological counseling. We are confident that the support and care that we give to each of our patients, is absolutely critical.